Monday, December 5, 2011

Job Shadow

F I job shadowed for Time Warner Cable Sports at the Carrier Dome because there for the New York State High School Football Championship.

I was able to sit inside the studio truck watch the director and everyone else work. T It was really interesting to see the similarities and differences as compared to what we have here. Everything was surprisingly similar but the first thing I noticed was that the preview and program monitors were reversed. It’s not a big deal but I thought it was funny. They also had something that they called data. Data worked through the Carrier Dome system. They get the information straight from the Carrier Dome scoreboard through the computer and it goes straight onto the television. Data automatically updates. It sounded really interesting and sounded like it was going to make life a lot easier. It did not. Apparently it was a brand new system. The clock kept freezing and falling behind. I guess that data works through the wireless Internet and Verizon put up a telephone tower that kept messing the connection up. Throughout the whole first game they kept trying to fix it. I think eventually the got it by putting the wireless receiver on top of the trucks windshield wiper. Even though they had problems I still though that that was one of the coolest pieces of new technology that they had at the truck. One of the people who worked there said if I thought all of their equipment was cool then I should have been there on Friday when ESPN was there. He said that ESPN’s equipment made Time Warner Cables equipment look like children’s toys. I will keep that in mind for next time I job shadow.

Overall I had a great time and I learned a lot. Many thanks to Peter Gaines and Time Warner Cable Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment