Monday, December 5, 2011

Surreal short film

I have nothing interesting to say this week, so I'm just going to share with you another Short Film, Yay!



This is one of the weirdest things I've seen in my life. I believe this was the first film directed by Luis Buñuel. Salvador Dali also helped doing it. So where can I start? Well, this short film literally defies all means of explanation. It is extremely abstract. I don't think it was meant to be analyzed anyways but to make the audience feel uncomfortable and confused which are of the feelings we usually experience after waking up from the craziest dream. Given that this is a surrealist film, I feel both Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali were successful creating a bizarre world that explore the subconscious. I also think this movie is pretty insane if we put it in context with the time it was made. This is because some of the shots taken are pretty intense and shocking. Especially the shot when this guy cuts this girl's eye (which was actually a cows eye). Taking in mind my reaction when I watched that scene, I can only imagine the audience's reaction when it was released for the first time. Do I like this movie? No, as I said before It was too odd for me. Do think it's good? yeah, it's an interesting way of making inexplicable into a visual element. Finally, I feel that this movie can be open to anyone's interpretation, but even if we spend all day analyzing it, we wouldn't be able to come up with an exact meaning for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment