Monday, September 26, 2011

Catching Up

Having just gotten cable in my apartment (yes, I realize I'm a little behind the times,) I've been taking the time to catch up on my favorite shows that I've been missing. The one that has me the most hooked is Showtimes "Nurse Jackie." The show follows the life of Jackie Peyton (Edie Falco,) a drug-addicted nurse working at New York City's All Saints' Hospital. Jackie, who struggles to balance her addiction, a family of her husband and two daughters, a pharmacist boyfriend, and difficult patients and co-workers, manages to somehow deftly avoid serious conflict in every episode.


Although, like every other show out there, "Nurse Jackie" is guilty of some faults, (my personal issue with the show is how stereotypical some of the characters can be,) the one thing that stands out to me is the complexity of the plot, and how in literally every episode, something manages to take you by surprise. In the shows pilot episode, Jackie seems to have one life throughout the entire thing. It is only at the very end that it revealed otherwise, making you re-think everything you have just seen. As the seasons go on, Jackie's life seems to get impossibly more complicated, while somehow, she still manages to skate by avoiding all of the real major problems. The show has just been given the okay for it's fourth season, and I am anxious to see how some of the problems that are finally coming to the surface in a big way will be solved.
At the moment, I'm just finishing up season two, but I can already tell I'm hooked on it for good. If you're looking for a complex show with an unusual storyline and even more unusual characters, make sure to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment