Friday, October 19, 2012

ADR? The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Recently I, for the first time, watched the classic Clint Eastwood western, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I thought it was a great a movie and I think Clint Eastwood is one of the best actors/directors of all time.

But something that really threw me off the entire movie was the audio. At first, I thought Netflix was giving me a problem...but then I realized this was in fact a flaw in the production. I had no idea why/how a movie could be so monumental with such horrible ADR? Then, upon further inspection, I realized that Clint Eastwood was the one character who did not have bad syncing on his audio.

I did some further research...it turns out that the film was in fact filmed in Italy, and quite a few of the actors are Italian. I also found out that the movie is, in comparison to many others, fairly low budget. But I wonder if maybe the bar for things like this was much lower back in the '60s? Anyway, this was something that really stuck out for me. Regardless, Clint delivers a great performance in this classic movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (despite the audio side of my brain screaming at me the whole time).

No comments:

Post a Comment