Wednesday, October 17, 2012

When Harry Met Sally



 I know this is an older film, but I really really love it. Last weekend I watched it again for the first time in over a year and thought I would blog about it. It is my favorite movie because of it's writing. If it hasn't become clear by now, I am highly interested in screenwriting. In my opinion, it is one of the most, if not the most important aspect of production. In order to have a good film, you must have a good script. Without that, you have nothing. I understand that delivery and interpretation of these scripts are just as important, but a script isn't something you can "fix in post". When Harry Met Sally was written by one of my favorite writers/screenwriters, Nora Ephron. Ephron writes with a charming wit, a style that I myself strive to incorporate into my writing. Her characters are very strong, each having a personality that is easy to identify with. I think I love this movie so much because it runs parallel to experiences I've had in my own life. This is where Ephron exceeds, she writes about things that identify with the masses. We've all had a friend who we've had feelings for, wondering if they've felt the same. I like that Ephron examines the dynamic between men and women and the unanswered question, can men and women really be just friends? I believe this is her best screenplay, although I really enjoyed You've Got Mail as well. I've recently started to read her short essays which are as comical and witty as her screenplays. If you haven't seen this film and consider yourself a lover of romantic comedies, watch it now. It is the ultimate romantic comedy that is realistic and relatable. Below is one of the most famous and hilarious scenes in the film. The last line, "I'll have what she's having" was thought up by the hilarious Billy Crystal and was performed by the director's mother. It is listed 33rd on AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movie Quotes.


No comments:

Post a Comment