Thursday, November 15, 2012

Napoleon Dynamite



When I was home last weekend, I was going through my old dvd collection and came upon what used to be my favorite movie, Napoleon Dynamite. I watched this film at least a 100 times in the three years I was in middle school and could probably still quote the movie from start to finish. The film was released in 2004 by Fox Searchlight Pictures, after being picked up from the Sundance Film Festival. The film was released in limited markets but quickly became a "cult classic." The movie was directed by Jared Hess and Jerusha Hess, who later when on to direct Nacho Libre, starring Jack Black. Jared and Jerusha are a husband- wife filmmaking duo who have also produced music videos for The Postal Service. Napoleon Dynamite debuted Jon Heder into the film industry.

The film was shot in Franklin County Idaho, as it tells the story of Napoleon Dynamite, high school student in Preston, Idaho. The movie tells the story of Napoleon as he navigates high school while his awkwardness and old brother Kip create obstacles. The reason why I LOVED this film was because the awkwardness and humor provided by Heder's performance was funny to any teenager. The film is very slow paced and dry at times but has it's funny moments. When I watched this film, after not seeing it for 5 years, I wondered how the hell I ever liked this movie. I still have a Napoleon Dynamite keychain that quotes Heder's famous lines. For the time, the movie was a hit but is now a forgotten thought in many peoples' minds. This "cult classic" was a favorite movie in my middle school and related to all the socially awkward pre-teens. I am glad the Jon Heder has managed to shake this character and move on to more "serious" roles in Blades of Glory, The Benchwarmers, and School for Scoundrels.


Have a good break and remember "Vote for Pedro!!!!!!!!"
-Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment