Sunday, November 20, 2011

The History Channel Evolves into a Primetime Hit

A few years ago when my dad flipped on the History Channel a long series of "Nooooo's" and "Ugh's" from my sister and I because we knew that this meant he was watching some WWII show or something to do with old military equipment like tanks, etc. Now I find myself watching the History Channel on an everyday basis. Why is this? Because when President of the network, Nancy Dubuc, faced to challenge of changing it's image,she did her homework. Now the History Channel sits in the number 3 slot as of the 2nd quarter ratings of 2011. At this point looking back I wonder where Dubuc went right in the evolution of one of my favorite channels.

What made this channel make itself to the top 3 in 2011 was the introduction of the non-scripted, real life shows. Shows like Pawn Stars, Ax Men, Swamp People, American Pickers, and Ice-Road Truckers. All of these shows bring the real life experiences of many different people and the struggles and triumphs they go through to make it.

Personally my favorite show is definitely Swamp People. This show was one of the first big hits for the new look History Channel. After a very successful season 1, this show is moving with momentum into season 2 with a large following. The reason shows like this are so popular, is because the viewers have no clue what this way of living is really like. It is so entertaining to watch these Cajun people who have been brought up for generations do what they do best and wrestle alligators and get enough food to feel their families.



I am so far away from these swamps of Louisiana and this show allows me to get the insider view on what its like to be a swamp rat. The Cajun lifestyle is one that is very interesting and watching this show makes me realize that to make a very successful show, there isn't always a need for a script. Real life interaction can be more than enough and the success of the History Channel is proof of that.

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you check out the History Channel South Park episode that came out two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete