Monday, November 7, 2011

Vertigo

I can finally say I have seen one of Hitchcock's most iconic and important films. Yes, I am talking about "Vertigo". So a few things about this movie: At the beginning I wasn't really impressed by it. The storyline was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Also Hitchcock did take his time to set up this movie. So basically what I felt it was just an ordinary movie became into a movie of pure suspense and thrill. This movie literally had me on the edge of my seat for at least half an hour straight. I think that although the build up for this movie was pretty long it was totally worth at the end when the movie has a 180 degree twist.
One thing that Vertigo left me thinking was the impact this movie had in me even it's been more than 50 years since it was released in theaters. I can only imagine how influential this movie was for its time. I mean, for me growing up with multiple shows and movies with a similar theme, I was even more impressed with Vertigo than with most of the things I've seen in the past. I feel that this is a fantastic movie and I feel it plant the seed to create many of the shows and movies we have today. One of the techniques used by Hitchcock that has really captured my attention in many movies that I've seen recently (including Chinatown) most of the story is shot from the main character's perspective. I feel this structure adds a little bit to the element of surprise since the viewer is actually discovering most of the key points of the story at the same time as the protagonist. I did notice that Hitchcock changes this style of telling the story after Vertigo's major twist (which I will not reveal). Shot wise Vertigo is extremely well shoot. This movie is especially know for the "dolly zoom shot" which has influenced many films in the past years. An example of this shot is in this video:


I'm going to stop talking about the plot line of Vertigo really don't want to spoil this movie for anyone but I think that this movie is a "must see" for everyone in the movie business so If you haven't seen it I would definitely recommend you to get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment