Thursday, September 17, 2015

A (particularly busy) day in the life of a Park School student at Ithaca College

Truth be told, today was so busy that I had forgotten to put any thought towards a blog that was to be submitted, by midnight, for one of my classes. As I began thinking about what to write, with about thirty minutes left on the clock, I realized that the hectic nature of my day was exactly what could be talked about in my blog for the week.

What is it like to be a student majoring in Television-Radio, at the Roy H. Park School of Communications at Ithaca College on a particularly busy day? Take a look at my schedule of events for the day I just completed to find out.

It began at 7:30 in the morning. Getting out of bed was difficult, especially after going to bed at 2:15 in the morning the night prior. I had to get up to go to work, which is at our school's equipment rental facility known as Park Portable Equipment Center and Services (PPECS).

I began my shift at 8:30, building orders to go out for the day, lugging around heavy equipment, putting it on carts, making sure that no mistakes were made. When you work at PPECS, the customer's success depends on you,  or at least that's what the customer tells you. They expect perfection.

Anyway, there is a lot more to the job, but I'm running out of time, so I have to keep moving. My shift went from 8:30am until 12:30pm, at which point I went to get lunch at the dining hall really quickly.

I had back to back classes from that point onward from 1:10pm until 5:40pm, however I had left my final class at 5pm to participate in a camera certification workshop led by one of my professors. This workshop lasted until 7:30pm, at which point I began my second shift at PPECS for the day.

The employees at PPECS do their very best to look out for one another, and so we often volunteer to cover each others' work shifts when one of us is busy or sick or whatever. I had agreed one week prior that I would cover my friend's work shift from 7:00pm to 11:00pm, knowing full well that I already had a four hour shift myself for that day.

In hindsight, it was not a really smart thing to do, but I need to be making as much money as possible to get a jump start on paying back what I owe for attending this very expensive school.

So in short, today I ate one quick meal, worked for eight hours, sat in class for five more, attended a workshop, and wrote this blog before bed. All of this was on roughly five hours of sleep, and a cheeseburger.

This is about what one should expect on a busy day in the life of a Park School student at Ithaca College.

No comments:

Post a Comment