Thursday, September 10, 2015

Why didn't Richard Linklater win Best Director in the Oscars?

One of the biggest surprise for me in the last Oscars was when Birdman or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance won best directing over Boyhood. I saw both films and they were both what I thought were one of the best films of the year. But I had the belief that Richard Linklater would win the Oscar in the "Best Director" category over Alejandro Innaritu. I understand that the one-take filming concept of Birdman was well done and creative.



But its been done before!!




One example of a one take film is Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope"



















What Richard Linklater did has never been done. For me, Boyhood was ingeniously well made and the dedication of the director to spend 12 years to make it was also astounding. What really sold me was the transitions of the characters getting older were really subtle. And the story, was relatable. I can't even imagine the careful planning that was necessary to create a film like this scheduling wise as the movie had casted actors like Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke who had prominent roles.


We follow a story of a 6 year old Mason and by the end of the film, he's all grown up going to college in a span of a 3 hours. This was a movie not only about the subtle rising speed of growing up and the roller coaster of ups and downs called life, but it also had an effect to the audience to reminisce about their past, their parents, and their childhood.

Why the only Oscar was given to Patricia Arquette for best supporting actress is beyond me. But I believe this movie shouldn't just be known for its nominations.

No comments:

Post a Comment