Thursday, September 17, 2015

On student films, being strung too thin, and powering through.

If I were to sum up how I've been feeling the last few weeks, it would be the following action done by George Michael in Arrested Development.
Basically, I am straight up burnt out of energy.

I was going to write this weeks blog on one of my favorite films of all time, but I feel as though a ~student film~ journal entry of sorts would be more beneficial to my mental health & self-learning. So if you feel the need for some relatable quips about an overbooked film student, journey on. If not, I suggest you stop reading immediately because I'm about to get very honest.

In the few short weeks that the semester has been in session I have found myself strung more thin than ever. Which, in turn, has turned me from my usual bubbly and patient self into the Grouch, because of lack of sleep and an endless list of tasks.
me in the summer: enough sleep/am less stressed
me the last few weeks; literally disintegrating with garbage!!!!!

Between doing a thousand and one different things plus trying to put my 110% into our fiction field 2 film, I find myself constantly working on some sort of task with no time to stop and breathe. Most pertinent of them all is getting everything done production design-wise for my friend's media thesis film (which we're shooting all next weekend in Rochester!) It’s not that I’m not doing it all, it’s that there’s always something that needs to get done. And I always get it done, but it usually means sacrificing one of the three elements that are key to a college students’ success (and also sanity). That being: enough sleep, good grades, and a social life.

So you see, only:
A. superhumans
B. sleepless vampires
C. those ghosts in harry potter that choose to come back to life(???)
Are the real ones that can achieve the ~trifecta~ of success.

Most of the lack of sleep comes from trying to make everything perfect and to please everyone, which is a fatal flaw of mine. It's something that I am trying to work on because it keeps me from getting things done in a timely manner to be honest. But college is all about learning about to balance everything, right? right????? *buries head in the sand*

I'm going to wrap this up to avoid getting whiny. Really the only way to combat these problems are to just suck it up and deal with it, which is the approach I'm taking. Even though the day to day has been quite the struggle, i'm trying to keep a positive attitude (which probably doesn't show at 10 AM in our class, my apologies). Basically I want all the productions I'm working on to the best they can be, and if that means giving up certain aspects of my life then so be it. 

I'm really happy with the way the screenplay for Stopover City has come out so far, and I'm very excited to begin filming my friend's thesis. Things are "chugging along" and I'm "managing" but I suppose this is just the life of a classic Parkie. Now I'm off to do some more tweaking of our film's screenplay with my lovely co-writers. I shall end this post with this:
Go all with everything you have because hard work pays off, as Leslie of Parks & Rec always shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment