Thursday, October 29, 2015

I Lava You

Over the summer I saw the Disney Pixar film, Inside Out. I've loved this movie ever since and have been waiting anxiously for my next opportunity to see it again. However, the best part of this movie-going experience was the Disney animated short in the beginning, Lava. Disney is known for screening an animated short in the beginning of every movie they release. They are usually extreme clever and sometimes relate to previously released films such as Frozen Fever using context from the movie Frozen. Although I haven't seen a bunch of the Disney shorts, or not ones that I can remember, Lava makes me want to go back and watch all of them. Disney Pixar animation is notorious for giving inanimate or non-human objects life and these depictions go far beyond animals. Lava is so unique because it portrays a love story around two submarine volcanoes.



 I know - sounds weird, but its got to be one of the most touching things I've ever seen. It depicts the idea of serenity and isolation, but the fact that love still exists in these circumstances. From the soft ukelele to its punny lyrics, Lava can't be compared to any other film I've seen. In fact, this isn't even clearly stated in the short, but the volcanoes actually have names reflecting the instrument playing the chords. The male volcano is named Uku and the female is named Lele. Together, their name creates the word Ukelele which further elaborates on the idea that they are meant to be together. I know, Disney can be a little bit cheesy sometimes, but I honestly feel that they think of everything and continue to be innovative. I can't wait to see what they come up with next and what kind of inanimate objects they bring to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment