Saturday, October 3, 2015

Symmetry yrtemmyS

When learning the basics of composition it seems that above all else we're told to keep our object of interest away from the center of the frame. I've been told by various professors, YouTubers, and film books that these kinds of shots are boring to look at, visually unappealing, and overall can reduce the quality of a film. While in certain circumstances I admit that a symmetrical shot can come across as bland, I strongly believe that when done right these kinds of shot's can ut across a wealth of visual information.

Take for instance the work of Wes Anderson:
Though he may currently be the poster boy for symmetrical shots, I can think of very little instances in which the symmetry of the shot didn't add in some what to the content of the film. These kinds of shots don't take me out of the film, but rather draw me in to it's world and atmosphere. It's very rare that a serious drama would never design a shot that's as cloying twee as some of the examples posted above, but at the same time i don't think a lot of comedy films would benefit from the harsh lighting a lot of drama's benefit from.

It's all a matter of design really. If you feel that a shot would benefit from being arranged in a certain way, I really couldn't care less about what a book or professor might have to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment