Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Why being fired was one of the best things to happen to me.

Why being fired was one of the best things to happen to me.


     

     This past Monday I was fired, plain and simple. During a workshop by DP Chris Scarafile, camera operator on "Boardwalk Empire" and "Blacklist" I was one of three who volunteered to help set up and demonstrate what a professional production might look like. My job...Grip. 

Here's what I didn't know. 

1) How to use a C-Stand properly.
2) How to put on a tool belt.
3) What the different flags did what.
4) How to put two apple boxes together to make a firm base.
5) How to use tape.
6) How to push a dolly
7) To get out of the way of the lights. 
8) How to not fuck up in a general and very specific sense.

     I was obviously fired in the first thirty seconds. I had no experience or right to be a grip for someone such as Chris Scarafile (or a grip at all). But I knew that I was going to put my foot forward and at least try, and by the grace of god I was allowed to stay and help for the remaining. I am not someone who likes to sit on the sidelines, and as Chris said if someone asks you to do a job you don't know how to do it SAY YES and you can learn in the time between when you're asked and when you're on the job. Unfortunately for me that time was 0 seconds so that really didn't apply to me in this situation...
Here's what I did know and did learned.

1) How to use a C-Stand properly
2) How to put on a tool belt and use the tools on them
3) What different flags did what and what they are used for
4) How to use tape and apple boxes
5) How to use a Dolly
6) How to not get in the way of lights
7) Don't fuck up
8) Always say yes and put your foot forward no matter what
9) How to perform under pressure and do your job
10) Ask questions
11) Give no excuses
12) Change my name and grow a mustache. TRY AGAIN.
13) Never give up
14) Keep a positive attitude

     This was an insanely eye opening and helpful experience. For me, it was invaluable in seeing what the actual industry of what I want to do is like and how I can get in and be a part of it. It showed me the holes in my education at IC and what I need to work on and learn how to do. Most importantly it showed me that your attitude is an extremely important factor in how you learn, how you move up, and how you succeed in this business.
     Though I got my ass kicked, I got out of there with even more excitement and passion than I had before and am extremely thankful for all those who made it possible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment