Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Favorite Filmmaker

    This past summer I had the overwhelming luck and privilege to obtain a post production internship in New York City. The only problem was that its a two hour commute to and from the city three days a week. Nonetheless I took it. To fill my long hours on the bus I began reading a lot of articles on the bus. Not just newspaper articles but articles on filmmaking, lighting, post production workflow, raw imaging, lenses, cameras, and many others. I would load 15 articles onto my laptop before I left my house and would read them all the way to the city. You're probably wondering what this has to do with my favorite filmmaker? I'm getting there. Whilst looking for articles I stumbled upon the blog of a freelance British videographer by the name of Phillip Bloom. I was instantly hooked.
    Since that day I must have read over 100 posts and watched even more of his videos. His composition, lighting, and shooting style amaze me every time, but its not just the amazing videos its the passion he puts behind each post he writes. He puts his personal experiences, some of which are heart wrenching stories that some would never even think about writing for public eyes. All for the good of educating, as much as he can, the community we are all a part of. He puts himself out for the world to see and it makes him that much more honorable.
    Thats why in my opinion he films people so well. It's easy to actually film a person but to be able to capture the person's soul, passion, and aura is a whole different story. Some of Phillip's best videos in my opinion are those with phenomenal characters one on one with the camera. No two are similar and every one of these videos he does is specifically catered to the subject in question. This sounds like a no brainer but i've seen very few people who do this as well as he does. It takes a talented person to truly be able to fully show another's passion through a lens. This is why Phillip Bloom is my favorite filmmaker.



Great Wooden Boats: RED EPIC from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

Portrait of a boxer 2013: FilmConvert B&W version from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

Portrait of a Percussionist from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

Portrait of a projectionist from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

A day at the races from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment