Monday, October 31, 2011

Comedy Shoot


This past weekend, I was part of my first freelance shoot. I had a client, a set, and a project to deliver that I would be paid for. The setting was Big Time Barber Shop in the commons on Saturday night. The owners of the place were hosting a standup comedy show that they staged, lit, and shot. After several days of planning where the stage, lights, cameras, and miss would be, I was ready for the real deal. Before the night started, I got each of the comedians to say a few words about who they were and how they got into comedy. I thought this would make for a good intro before actually cutting to their act. 8 o'clock struck, the lights were on and the camera was rolling. I have to admit, I was really nervous.

The first couple of minutes went by slowly. It was really hard for me to pay attention to the action and not get caught up in the laughter of the audience. I also had to stay alert for when the comedians moved on stage so i keep could the medium shot fit to frame. The second camera I had posted up was in the bak of the room, capturing a long shot of the stage and the audience reaction. I thought it would be good t cut back and forth from the camera every once in a while to make the video more professional. I haven't started editing yet, but I have already planned what I am going to do.

The biggest challenge I had was volume. Each performer talked differently and some even made sound affects into the mic. The levels on my camera were jumping at times, but for the most part I was able to keep it in check. I won't know for sure until I see it in post.

This was a great experience for me. The school projects we do month to month are fun, but are nothing like a live shoot were you have to capture everything that happens, because there is no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment