Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Little Horror Film That Could



Over the break, I finally got around to seeing a couple of movies that I've wanted to see for a while now. Now, I am ashamed to say that the night where I was home alone, I made the decision of having a "Paranormal Activity" night, because I am hoping to go and see the third one as soon as possible. BIG mistake. I don't think I even need to say this, but I didn't sleep at all that night.

As I lay in bed that night, (freaking out over every sound that my old house made,) I got to wondering why exactly movies like this make such an impact. Once I thought about it, there really wasn't that much about it that was very terrifying. Coming from someone who saw "The Exorcist" at age 12 and shrugged it off, I really couldn't figure out why I was so freaked out!

I finally came to the conclusion that the assurance at the beginning of both movies that the footage is "real" combined with a genius marketing campaign, set the entire series of movies up for success. Much like "The Blair Witch Project," the anticipation is as important as the actual actions themselves in the movie, which both movies have plenty of.

I've heard great things about the third movie, so I have to ask: who has seen it? Is it as good at the reviews make it out to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment